Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Training schedule and some beer info

Today was day 3 of my training schedule. Did a nice 4 miles this morning in Inwood Hill Park.* It's refreshing to get up extra early and do some running through the park. Great way to start the day.

*More of the park in my backyard will be coming in a later post. Just an awesome place to run. Also, I stole this little embedded footnote from Joe Posnanski, which is aptly named a Posterisk. Check his blog, it's some of the best sports writing ever.

Since I'm at the very beginning of things I figured it would be a good idea to post my training schedule to get an idea of what kind of running we're talking about here. It's worth noting that before I began this training I'd never ran more than 7 miles in one shot, and that was fairly recently. So from here on out every Sunday will be a new personal best in distance. Kind of exciting, no? That weekly mile total on the right hand side is a little intimidating. Let's hope the knees hold up!
















Alright, enough with that. Let's talk about beer. I love it. You love it (or at least you should). It's great. It's one of the things I have to cut back on, which is a good thing but I needed to figure out if I should ditch it all together. Well a google search of "carbs in beer useful for marathon training" gave me the answer I needed. Basically a beer here and there isn't bad for you, just don't drink too much before race day (don't wanna poo yourself). This website sums it up the best:
"And why not hoist a well-earned brew? Beer, like red wine, does provide some health benefits. The malt and hops used to make dark beers contain flavonoids, the same heart-healthy compounds in vegetables and wine that counter cell damage, thus reducing your risk of heart disease and cancer. Beer also contains B vitamins and chromium, which aid in converting carbohydrates to energy."
Well then, keep drinking beer.

Speaking of beer. Tonight my good friend Catinca is hosting a Flying Dog event at Blind Tiger in NYC. She just got the job as Flying Dog sales rep for all 5 boroughs of NYC (!) and I believe this is her first promo. It's gonna rock I'm sure. I will be there to sample a brand new brew they're unveiling. And of course I can't pass up my favorite of theirs, the Gonzo Imperial Porter (pictured left). Lofty brew. As their motto says, via the great H.S. Thompson, "Good people drink good beer." Word.




2 comments:

  1. amen.....so glad beer can remain a part of our training program! (in moderation of course) keep up the great work, that chart is very fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you thought of doing the Nike + thing to help out with your training? I read about it in Wired...sounds like a good way to go

    ReplyDelete