Monday, September 7, 2009

long lonely road

Well this weekend I've been staying home in Paoli visiting my parents, and yesterday called for a 14 mile run. So I mapped out a run that would take me to Radnor, run the 5 mile Radnor Trail, then home. I wasnt sure how this was going to go, running so far by myself, but I was ready with my Fuel Belt, and carried some money, and a granola bar, just in case. I felt like the Bear Grylls of running. I set off along Sugartown Road, which was pretty much the only road I took all the way to the trail. WAY different than city running, in that there was no shoulder, no sidewalk, and cars were not used to seeing a runner along the side of the street. Some of the twists and turns I was actually scared that a car would zip around the corner and slam into me. So it wasnt the most relaxing of runs, but getting to the trail was nice, because its tree covered, and chock full of runners, walkers, bikers, etc. (think: smaller scale of kelly drive- and less Lance Armstrongs zipping along).

I was feeling REALLY great until about mile 11. I was just about out of water/gatorade, in all 4 bottles, and was trudging along at a 12 minute mile pace. A Michael Jackson song came up- Rock with You, and I actually started singing along and felt the urge to dance, haha. But it really motivated me to keep going, which i also found hilarious. At one point I took my headphones out, and realized that my "singing" after running 12+ miles, actually just sounded like squeaking and breathing, haha, but when I was blasting the music at least i felt like i was singing along. I mustve sounded absolutely crazy to anyone driving by who heard me. Also, the entire run, I pondered my marathon weight loss cookbook. I really want to make it happen and have a ton of great ideas. which, i should write down before i forget, haha. And a few ideas for other running related things that i've decided need to be invented. But i cant post them or you'll steal them! hehe.

oh, and my iphone died at 13.8 miles. WORST. that last little bit is when i really need some music pulling me along. that was tough. and then, i couldnt even cool down because my muscles were immediately seizing up after stopping.

And i'm supposed to be able to run 12 more???????????????

no freakin way. I barely wouldve had half a mile more in me. How am I going to be able to do this? Sometimes after runs, I know I have a few more in me, but am just following my training schedule. At this point, I don't see how in a few weeks I'm going to be able to run 16 or 18 or whatever, i really don't. Its almost like a religious feeling....I need to place my faith in this training plan, and trust that its leading me on the right path (literally), but I just cant forsee it. So i'm trying to remain optimistic, and know that if i follow all my runs, the mileage will come. but sheesh. i was really wiped out yesterday.

on that note- off to go bike 20 miles, since the MS 150 is quickly approaching as well!

remind me never to train for a marathon AND a 150 mile bike ride at the same time? k, thanks!

-bridge

1 comment:

  1. I will absolutely remind you never to train for two huge races at the same time! crazy. It is tough to really believe that you can do the higher mileage, but just think, you probably wont be doing any more by yourself. at least try not to. I am so impressed that you finished 14 by yourself! If you could do that, you will absolutely be great for the marathon where there are tons of people out and shouting and just keeping you motivated! Go you! Great job! xoxo

    ReplyDelete